As of February, 2009:
- If you choose to make payments online using American Express, MasterCard, Visa or Discover branded cards, the third-party vendor will add a convenience fee of 2.75% to the transaction. This applies to debit and credit transactions.
- To avoid the convenience fee, students and parents are able to make payments directly from any checking or savings account by using our secure web payment option (Electronic Funds Transfer), simply by entering the bank/financial institution routing and account number information at the time of online payment.
- Credit card payments will only be accepted via the Internet.
While credit card payments offer a convenient way for students and parents to make payments for registration, the cost to the University for providing this convenience has grown to approximately $2,000,000 annually. In our current budget situation, the University must examine all the charges we pay. Therefore, the University has decided to require those who use this convenience to cover its cost.
This amount was set by our third-party vendor.
Many colleges and universities have already made similar changes to their credit card payment policies. The University of Missouri has attempted to negotiate changes in its arrangements with its credit card providers to avoid having to make these policy changes. However, those negotiations have been unsuccessful.
Other payment options we offer include:
Credit card rules say that convenience fees must be charged for all payment types for a given payment location. If we allowed credit card payments at the cashier’s window, then we would also have to add the convenience fee to check and cash transactions. Therefore, we had to move all credit card payment processing to a third-party credit card processor. The University of Missouri will provide computer workstations near the Cashier’s office for use by our walk-up customers who choose to make an on-line bill payment.
Questions may be directed to New Student Programs Office:
- Phone: 573-884-9868
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailing address: G106 MU Student Center, Columbia, MO 65211
When paying with an E-Check they are not instant. You enter your information, it submits the reservation, the payment information is then routed to your bank, the bank checks the information submitted, emails you that the payment was rejected or did not go through and then they contact our office. Once New Student Programs is notified, we will send the customer a letter on what happened and where to send the payment.
Sometimes this happens if a number was transposed or entered incorrectly. This will not affect your reservation and your date will not be cancelled. Please send us a check to New Student Programs, G106 MU Student Center, Columbia, MO 65211.
Your summer welcome account will not reflect the returned e-check until the office is notified by the bank, this step usually takes 3-5 business days and the customer will get notified before our office does.